We produce reports, papers, position statements and submissions where there is collective agreement amongst our members. We undertake projects on specific issues at the direction of the Board of Trustees.
Here you will find the answers to common questions about the CMC. If you can’t find what you are looking for please don’t hesitate to contact us.
What do the Medical Colleges do?
The Medical Colleges are not for profit educational bodies responsible for the training, examination and recertification of medical practitioners in specific medical specialities or disciplines. They are also institutions that provide programmes of continuing medical education for specialists.
The Medical Colleges also advise on workforce issues and advocate for appropriate health quality services in New Zealand.
Who can be a member of CMC?
The main criteria for membership to the CMC are that the organisation:
- is a medical body whose membership predominantly comprises of registered medical practitioners;
- is generally recognised as an arbiter of professional standards within its medical speciality area or discipline;
- conducts a vocational training programme leading to Fellowship (specialist status), provides vocational registration for medical graduates, and is of a standard determined or approved by the Medical Council of New Zealand for this purpose;
- conducts examinations or assessment for post graduate diplomas or qualifications recognised by CMC for this purpose;
- is not formed primarily to and/or does not predominantly carry out activities for industrial or political purposes;
- conducts a continuing education programme recognised by CMC for this purpose;
Any application for membership needs to be supported in writing by at least two Trustees and approved by at least two thirds of Trustees within the requirements as set out in the Deed of Trust
How often does CMC meet?
The Board meets four times a year in February/March, May/June, August and November/December.
Can I come along to a meeting?
Attendance at CMC meetings is by invitation only. If you would like to attend, please contact us.